Tandem following rules?

General automotive discussion. If you can read and write... this is the place.

Moderators: charlie, darkducati, andysapp, CodyW

Roadkill
Ripe Meat

Tandem following rules?

Post by Roadkill »

Tandem following rules?
I have had several people ask me about the rules during a judged competition. Everyone knows how to lead and score but I would like to hear discussion on a few situations while following:

1) Good Run by lead car =

chase car mimics the line of the lead as close as possible - Given

2) Marginal run by lead car = ?

Does the chase car :
A) follow a poor line?
B) Run a better line ?

3) Lead car has a poor line running very wide

Does the chase car :
A) follow a poor line?
B) Run a better line ?
C) Pass and point fingers while laughing?

Suggestions.
It would be nice for all to be clear on this before Saturday.
Tires, Smoke em if you got em!
down_shift
Muscle Milk

Re: Tandem following rules?

Post by down_shift »

I say stick to his door where ever he goes unless its ungodly off line.
::::: understeer is definitely a crime - Colin McRae
Generz
Eet Bacon

Post by Generz »

If the lead car is way offline then the chase car should maintain angle/speed and follow the racing line. This will give him a better judged run.

A drift course usually doesn't have that much 'room' between a marginal line and a great line (maybe 2-4 feet TOPS)... the chase car should be able to stay close, follow the line, AND maintaining drift.

Passing isn't something that should be allowed UNLESS the lead car is off course/spin/wreck.

Tandem is about leading/chasing.. not passing.

Other things that I usually look for is initiation, commitment, maintaining drift, and style.

If a chase car is unable to perform the vast MAJORITY of the tasks while in drift.. then they really don't have a chance unless the lead car really messes up.
Generz
Eet Bacon

Post by Generz »

Howard, did you want me to explain all this before the competition on Saturday?
TurboGrinch
Imitation Crab Meat

Post by TurboGrinch »

over here they sometimes just want to 'shadow' the leading car, take the same line, with bigger angle and stay close to him.

but i prefer the lets call it attack mode :D

show that you car is faster get as close as you can, and stay as close as possible and if you can see a gap, overtake :)

i always use to stay a little bit back on the entry into the FOERST corner. I do that because my car is faster than most of the other cars im competing agains. AND some of the drivers over here are doing some kind of 'dirty driving' they use the left foot and kill the speed at a point you dont expect to slow down - thats hard to get out of with out a spin or crash - you also need to left foot brake and hope you wont come into the boostless rpm-range haha.
P.Haire
Trunk Junk

Post by P.Haire »

Roadkill wrote:Tandem following rules?
I have had several people ask me about the rules during a judged competition. Everyone knows how to lead and score but I would like to hear discussion on a few situations while following:

1) Good Run by lead car =

chase car mimics the line of the lead as close as possible - Given NOT GOOD ENOUGH YOU NEED TO TRY TO BE MORE OF A BA THAN THE LEAD DRIVER.

2) Marginal run by lead car = ?

Does the chase car :

A) follow a poor line? HE ALSO SHOULD HAVE MORE ANGLE AND MORE SMOKE OR A BETTER INITIATION

3) Lead car has a poor line running very wide

Does the chase car :

B) Run a better line ? HE ALSO SHOULD HAVE MORE ANGLE AND MORE SMOKE AND PASS THE DUDE

Suggestions.
It would be nice for all to be clear on this before Saturday.
to me, there is too much focus on "line". line should be thought of in terms of "does the driver have control of the car and is he driving the car through the corner" or "is this guy throwing it and hoping for the best". clipping points are so the drivers know where the judges want them to run during practice and qualifying. to me initiation, throttle manipulation, angle, and guts should be the major judging criteria. drifting should be about being cool. line is a technical aspect and technically speaking drifting doesn't make any sense. i also think having judged qualifying is a waste of time. if you have experienced judges(i think we do) than the top 32 or 16 or whatever can be picked by how each driver is doing throughout the day.
please believe
VRT nenders
Taco Bar Extraordinaire

Post by VRT nenders »

it pretty much has all been said.
maintaining speed, good initiations, stick your nose on the door, better angle, break traction hook slide.
over take driver only if there is a huge open door mistake in line or to avoid possible impact. a forced pass is never classy and most of the time is sloppy.
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

I kinda agree with the judging of qualifying - but the people that don't qualify then call BS and want to see solid numbers.
VRT nenders
Taco Bar Extraordinaire

Post by VRT nenders »

three more
VRT nenders
Taco Bar Extraordinaire

Post by VRT nenders »

VRT nenders
Taco Bar Extraordinaire

Post by VRT nenders »

and good night
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

Hahaha!
foilman
Not Really Past the Hazing

Post by foilman »

There is no single "right" answer. It is the judges' choice and should be stated before competition. Sometimes the course or chosen clipping points are a big factor. Sometimes it's wise to declare a no passing zone, like when the "entry" is a long sweeping turn leading into the course.
icantdrift
Salsa Rodeo

Post by icantdrift »

andysapp wrote:I kinda agree with the judging of qualifying - but the people that don't qualify then call BS and want to see solid numbers.

this^. i've always liked watching people crack when the pressure is on during qualifying too, kind of separates those who are consistent from those who had a few good runs during the day.
P.Haire
Trunk Junk

Post by P.Haire »

but then some dudes get lucky and qualify with a score of 1 because dudes who should be driving got nervous and spun. you can always make people qualify for position instead of if they get to drive or not.

basically everyone has good points and i don't feel like typing a book to explain how i really feel on the subject.
please believe