Drifting and Car Classes -- What do you think?

General automotive discussion. If you can read and write... this is the place.

Moderators: charlie, darkducati, andysapp, CodyW

jo
Not Really Past the Hazing

Drifting and Car Classes -- What do you think?

Post by jo »

After watching Formula D this year, and seeing cars like the FF civic try and qualify [and not making it], I'm curious what you guys think about classes for drifting series like FD. Do you think there should be classes for other cars like AWD and FF? Would you even be interested in seeing FF or AWD cars at drift events? Obviously they wouldn't be as good as FR, but it might still be interesting. And what about classes for cars like the Viper? Unlimited HP classes or something?

I'm curious as to the thoughts of everyone. I know FD was thinking about classes, but I don't think it will happen next year.
CodyW
Slippery When Westicles

Post by CodyW »

hmm...in some ways, that might have it's advantages and be pretty cool. i'm still a little unsure about the FF drift but if the guy can do it, i guess he might as well show it off. i've seen plenty of nice AWD drift action too and i do think it would be cool to get some more love in big events. i guess unlimited classes wouldn't be bad either as long as other teams made cars that could gun down the viper (we need some 800 hp SR's out there tearing it up :) ).
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

I think there are definite benefits to classes, although it'll take some of the fun outta seeing an ae86 run against a competition coupe Viper.

Maybe run classes, into a final 8/4. That way you get to compete with similar set-up cars & compete all out in the finals.

It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.
aburazaru
Get Some

Re: Drifting and Car Classes -- What do you think?

Post by aburazaru »

nobody wrote: Obviously they wouldn't be as good as FR, but it might still be interesting.
have you ever seen the june motor sports evo? that hing is freakin bangin. awd cars actually have an advantage over rwd in drifting. granted that it is harder to master, but once you can do it.... :shock: you'll be blowin everybody else away. see, it's like this... in an awd car, in order to actually sustain a drift you have to keep the wheel strait or even more to the inside of the turn because the front wheels will pull the car as well. now with that in mind and a good sus build, you should have all 4 wheels pulling you through the turn (in the direction you want to go) as aposed to rwd where the rear is trying to make itself the front. classes you say? nay says I, maytee. keep that shit real. :mrgreen:
jo

Post by jo »

ChunkeyMunkey1580 wrote:
nobody wrote: Obviously they wouldn't be as good as FR, but it might still be interesting.
classes you say? nay says I, maytee. keep that shit real. :mrgreen:
ah, but the thing is that AWD cars aren't allowed in formula D and things like drift showoff-- so if there was a class for it, they'd be allowed to compete.
Prince Nismo
Imitation Crab Meat

Post by Prince Nismo »

i kinda like the class deal... at least adding a AWD class, i'd love to see more scooby's and Evo's rippin it up. that would be sweet. i'm all for it.
Drift long
Shift Short
Boost High
Ride low

12 psi a day keeps the honda away!
turbofb
Clam Salesman

Post by turbofb »

I would like to see different classes based on skill. have a grassroots style
have some different levels in between grass and pro. And move up latter based on performance. I think then they should only limit cars to full factory frames, leaving performance and suspension open.
MTRLevolution
Get Some

Post by MTRLevolution »

i am in favor of more poop at drift events. honestly, i don't think i've ever seen any footage of pooping during these things.
HATERDAN
Purple Drank

Post by HATERDAN »

AWD drifting is way fun until you hit a guardrail ;)
-dan
jo

Post by jo »

haha don't forget the skiing drift class! rich would take the win in that series for sure! and I guess JR could move up to the mini van class too;)
SLYDSHW
Ripe Meat

Post by SLYDSHW »

What about dog cart drifting?? I thought Cody and Sky would own up on that!
CodyW
Slippery When Westicles

Post by CodyW »

oh yea, we should be making our debut appearance next year

aburazaru
Get Some

Post by aburazaru »

nobody wrote:
ChunkeyMunkey1580 wrote:
classes you say? nay says I, maytee. keep that shit real. :mrgreen:
ah, but the thing is that AWD cars aren't allowed in formula D and things like drift showoff-- so if there was a class for it, they'd be allowed to compete.
haha quote party!!! wtf... awd can't compete? that sucks.

oh and 510... it doesn't matter what drivetrain you are on...ff,fr, or awd...it still sucks balls to hit a guard rail
DriverGT5
Fresh Meat

Post by DriverGT5 »

ChunkeyMunkey1580 wrote:oh and 510... it doesn't matter what drivetrain you are on...ff,fr, or awd...it still sucks balls to hit a guard rail
I don't know, I kinda had fun tagging the wall at Lowes. Of course I drive a $400 car basically.... :D
down_shift
Muscle Milk

Post by down_shift »

Maybe FF, FR, and AWD classes.
::::: understeer is definitely a crime - Colin McRae