STi Power delivery Problems

General automotive discussion. If you can read and write... this is the place.

Moderators: charlie, darkducati, andysapp, CodyW

OutDriveU
Ripe Meat

STi Power delivery Problems

Post by OutDriveU »

Hey guys sorry I havent been around but ive been busy as hell and out of town allot. Anyway I know allot of Sti guys/girls here so I had a few ?'s
The biggest problem is that when a rear tyre is of the ground and I give it throttle it transfers the power to that tyre. Result is it doesnt accelerate till that tyre hits the ground again. Now this is in a constant cornering scenario, its not an abrupts lifting of the tyre caused by bumps. Ill show you pics soon of what I mean. Now we messed with the diff settings and it looks liked a locked Diff works the best but still sucks. We are on 1000lb springs which is part of the problem. I doubt any of you have had this problem but I thought id try and see if u have. In fact my co-driver hasnt had the problem either so I am thinking its a product of my driving style. I get on the gas absurdly early in awd cars to let the car power out of the corner as opposed to most who let the car set and corner before application of throttle. As a result I am over a second slower a lap caiuse of this. I can change my style but I find this anomoloy strange since the WRX had wheels off the ground and never had this happen.

Im assuming we just have to get all wheels planted to solve this which reduces the roll stifness alot which sucks. Anyway let me know if anyones had this prob or suggestions cause we have the Nation Championships in 2 weeks and we need to fix this asap.

Later
Prince Nismo
Imitation Crab Meat

Post by Prince Nismo »

sorry, i don't know if i can help but i'll add my limited racing knowledge and non-indepth advice. my FOERST question is tho, are you running cones or up on the burms?(ie: tracks) if it were tracks then i would say you are coming in too hot and unstablizing your cars balance therefore kicking the outside tire up as a result. the bars would definately help, are you on stock everything but springs? maybe your shocks aren't rebounding fast enough and it's time to step up?

everything i said probably didn't help but i tried my best. hope everything works out.
Drift long
Shift Short
Boost High
Ride low

12 psi a day keeps the honda away!
OutDriveU
Ripe Meat

Post by OutDriveU »

Its on glass smooth concrete no curbs or berms. The coilovers are damped sufficiently but lack a little rebound dampining. My real concern is why is all the power being transferred to the wheel off the ground. It shouldnt do that considering the nature of the rear diff. But then again I could be wrong. As far as driving I actually enter the turns a liitle slower so I can get on the gas sooner. The way the cars set uyp the wheel will come off. Im just perplexed as why all the power is sent to the wheel of the ground
sam
Ripe Meat

Post by sam »

OutDriveU wrote:Its on glass smooth concrete no curbs or berms. The coilovers are damped sufficiently but lack a little rebound dampining. My real concern is why is all the power being transferred to the wheel off the ground. It shouldnt do that considering the nature of the rear diff. But then again I could be wrong. As far as driving I actually enter the turns a liitle slower so I can get on the gas sooner. The way the cars set uyp the wheel will come off. Im just perplexed as why all the power is sent to the wheel of the ground
Sounds like the locker in the rear diff is soft or simply not enguaging. Might want to get her up on a jack, neutralize the transmission, and see if you can spin a wheel. if the other spins backwards, you ahve no rear LSD (which would be anamolous, because STi's should come stock with that, right?), but either way, that's strange... Might it be that when you Romp on the gas, the turbo blasts the planted wheel loose?

Also, it sounds like you're playing a more FF tactic with this early-romp style, you might want to try a much further forward DCCD Setting. But I'm just talking out my ass. Only time I drove an STi, I was barely cornering her at all, and she was on stock springs.

Might do you well to spend some time learning the feel of that car, instead of trying to carry over a different technique.
*sings* my corolla breaks down more than your corolla!
OutDriveU
Ripe Meat

Post by OutDriveU »

CodyW
Slippery When Westicles

Post by CodyW »

damn, at least that thing looks good :).

what wheels are those out of curiousity?
OutDriveU
Ripe Meat

Post by OutDriveU »

CCW's. they are custom built 3 piece. Damn light cause the hossier race tyres are heavy as hell. Well now we are butting down like 380hp with stock boost so I need to find out about those Cusco Diffs.
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

Hey Shane!!!
Long time no see, yo!

380 with stock boost??? NICE!
What all have you done to the car?