AWD powerslidin'

General automotive discussion. If you can read and write... this is the place.

Moderators: charlie, darkducati, andysapp, CodyW

Korey
Ripe Meat

AWD powerslidin'

Post by Korey »

Hey guys,
I know in the classifieds I said I was looking for a RWD slidable car..but I found a fairly clean '88 Audi 80 Quattro. It's pretty radd, but I need Drift mechaniks help and opinions on a few things. I'll have to post pics later tomorrow, but it's AWD, 5 cyl 2.3L and 5 speed.
I'm looking for suspension FOERST, and so if you have any ideas where I could find coilovers or just a lower, uber stiff suspension, that would be great!
Also I am not sure how strong the Audi's AWD system is and how much abuse it can take..so is it possible to get it sideways without boosting and make a large amount of power like the General lee Audi?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 2047272481

Oh and Andy can you mail me some more Drifting is not a crime stickers?? A few friends and myself wouldn't mind putting them on our cars. :twisted:

Thanks!
Korey
Loki_LaVey6
Ripe Meat

Post by Loki_LaVey6 »

ME LIKES :twisted:
foilman
Not Really Past the Hazing

Re: AWD powerslidin'

Post by foilman »

Korey wrote:Hey guys,
.so is it possible to get it sideways without boosting and make a large amount of power like the General lee Audi?
It will slide around in the wet ok, but if you want to go to a drift event with AWD you need to bring 400+ hp with you to approximate what a rwd car does. Without that you will regain traction and straighten out before you have a long satisfying slide.
Generz
Eet Bacon

Post by Generz »

foilman is all about long and satisfying.................. :shock:
Greg
Muscle Milk

Post by Greg »

lots o power, and lots of front tires are what you'll need
Bikes, Meat, Drama, Meat, Gossip, Meat, Metal, Meat, Buttsex, Meat, Family and some Drifting.
foilman

Post by foilman »

quazar311 wrote:foilman is all about long and satisfying.................. :shock:
Drifting... significant penalty for early withdrawal.
Korey
Ripe Meat

Post by Korey »

Hahah..thanks guys.
So I'll need 400+ hp and lots and lots of sticky front tires? It has a manually lockable rear differential but thats for "inclimate conditions".
This may be stupid a stupid question, but what would happen if you just welded the rear diff in an AWD car?
P.Haire
Trunk Junk

Post by P.Haire »

it will make noises in parking lots and people will look at you funny.
please believe
revel
Eet Bacon

Post by revel »

you will want tons of torque. more torque than horse. like 300wtq and 250whp.
Korey
Ripe Meat

Post by Korey »

So really it's all about the torque in an AWD format? Anybody have any AWD sliding video's they'd like to share?
Thanks,
Korey
revel
Eet Bacon

Post by revel »

with AWD you need that torque to make the tires get loose and stay that way. if you were to have more horse than torque you should be able to get the tires loose but as soon as drop even the slightest bit out of your power band the AWD system will do what it does best - grip.

as for videos-there are a good many on the net. now if only i could get andy to find the vid of my GC8 (pre-swap) doing flatspins in an icy lot....but its like 3years old so i doubt he has it still.
foilman

Post by foilman »

GC8VI wrote:you will want tons of torque. more torque than horse. like 300wtq and 250whp.
^ Still not enough for AWD drifting
revel
Eet Bacon

Post by revel »

thought that be a good spot to start out at, not the goal.
Korey
Ripe Meat

Post by Korey »

GC8VI wrote:with AWD you need that torque to make the tires get loose and stay that way. if you were to have more horse than torque you should be able to get the tires loose but as soon as drop even the slightest bit out of your power band the AWD system will do what it does best - grip.

as for videos-there are a good many on the net. now if only i could get andy to find the vid of my GC8 (pre-swap) doing flatspins in an icy lot....but its like 3years old so i doubt he has it still.
Ohhhh, okay..I'm catching on. So how about those GC8's? What exactly is that? Going blank here. lol

I have seen skyline GT-R's do a front drive shaft delete's, therefore converting your car to RWD....is this possible in all AWD cars or would it require a whole new drivetrain? Aren't the Team Orange Subaru's RWD?
foilman

Post by foilman »

I think you should take a step back and ask yourself what you really want. Do you want an AWD car? Do you want a drift car? Doing both in one not cheap or easy. Does it need to be a daily driver as well? I'm pretty sure you don't want to be removing and reinstalling axles every drift event. Maybe you are just daydreaming and looking for information.

Some cars are essentially RWD cars that have AWD added (Skyline, Imprezza). A lot of AWD cars are FWD cars with AWD added (can't just swap in a RWD transmission). Some AWD cars have electronically controlled center diffs (like the skyline). You rig up a controler or switch and can go back and forth. Or you might drop axles (and likely weld a diff), or swap in a standard RWD transmission.

The Audi 80 quattro comes with a torsen center diff, so you won't get away with simply removing the front axles.

Cliff notes: Forget about the car you saw in the classifieds if you want to go drifting.