Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:13 pm
After all of that madness... the subframe mayhem began.
Mar 30, 2006 wrote:So um... yeah. Last Sunday at Black Hills I managed to crack my subframe. I didn't hit anything, or do anything out of the ordinary compared to how I usually drive.
They only thing that really makes sense is that this was a fracture that has been compounding over time. Possibly a hairline fracture that has slowly grown with each aggressive-arsed clutch kick.
I talked to Turner Motorsport about their billet aluminum subframe bushings. In leiu of trying to press the bushings in on our own (they have an uneven pressing surface... requiring another 1337 BMW special tool), I decided to have them assemble one for me. They are going to put the billet aluminum differential bushings in as well.
It should ship out tomorrow (hopefully)... leaving a full week to try and get it into the car. One tricky part of the swap is going to be reinforcing the subframe mounting points with the Turner reinforcement kit. I'm hoping we can get everything done before next weekend... but there is a LOT of work on the road ahead. I just hope that once we get that subframe off the car there isn't more damage that I can't see. [praying to God]
I'll keep ya'll posted... that's going to be one solid rear-end when we're done!
andysapp wrote:Thanks man! It's going to be a project for sure. That reinforcement kit has to be welded in... and I am not a welder, lol.
The guys at Turner are interested to see the extent of the damage. They said they've never seen someone break the subframe where I broke it. Usually it tears out of the floor of the trunk like so:
This kit is what'll make sure that doesn't happen:






































































































































