My car died on the road, help needed.

General automotive discussion. If you can read and write... this is the place.

Moderators: charlie, darkducati, andysapp, CodyW

pennjones
Fresh Meat

My car died on the road, help needed.

Post by pennjones »

So the situation is this: I was going out to get some groceries and I was going up a hill at the end of my road. At the top of the hill is a stoplight. About 100 yards before the stoplight I saw a big cloud of white smoke billowing out of the rear end of my car, so I turned into the gas station just before the light at the top of the hill. The turn into the gas station is also uphill, and because I was turning I was going slow, and the car died on the uphill slope.

Now, my 240 is an automatic, and it's only ever stalled one other time, when I was going up the same hill with NO gas, going to the gas station, about a week ago. Well, I got it started on the hill by giving the car some gas while turning the key, but as soon as I let my foot of the gas to go into drive it stalled again. I eventually got in to drive into a parking spot by giving it gas and sort of hurrying it into drive and continuing to give it gas. When I got out I noticed that the smoke was coming from my exhaust pipes.

Well, I can get it started every time now by giving it gas while turning the keep, sort of pumping the gas pedal until it starts, but as soon as I let my foot of the gas it dies. So tonight it sits at that gas station until the morning.

Any idea of what's going on here? Fuel pump? Please help!
foilman
Not Really Past the Hazing

Post by foilman »

White smoke, or blueish? Sounds like blown headgasket (white). Did you notice the engine temp? Check the oil dipstick and coolant. Does either look like a milk shake?
pennjones
Fresh Meat

Post by pennjones »

couldn't tell if it was white or blueish, but it looked white. Also, temp was normal and no fluids looked different than normal. Not leaking oil below the car (will check again tomorrow when I go back to gas station).
pennjones
Fresh Meat

Post by pennjones »

also, the engine itself is not smoking when I start the car, it was the exhaust and it only smoked before it died on me. After I restarted it, no more smoking.
shawn shawn
Hollasaurus Rex

Post by shawn shawn »

pennjones wrote:also, the engine itself is not smoking when I start the car, it was the exhaust and it only smoked before it died on me. After I restarted it, no more smoking.
If it was the head gasket it would blow out the exhaust.
ImageImage

_team rowdy_
P.Haire
Trunk Junk

Post by P.Haire »

i was reading this thread and a mcdonalds commercial just came on and it was in spanish. so i don't think i'll ever eat there again.

but yeah you might want to check your fuel filter. when you run really low you run the risk of pumping all the crap thats in your tank into the lines.

no idea where the smoke is coming from. especially if you don't know what colour it is.
please believe
pennjones
Fresh Meat

Post by pennjones »

it looked white to me, but I imagine blue smoke isn't going to look much different than white.
Generz
Eet Bacon

Post by Generz »

so the car was hella low on gas?

if you have no coolant loss.. coolant in the oil... oil in the coolant...
a possibility is that you have some water in your tank?
pennjones
Fresh Meat

Post by pennjones »

no I had 3/4 tank tonight.
bradt
Imitation Crab Meat

Post by bradt »

Hmmmm, worst case scenario, your piston rings are toast.
Personae non Gratae.
POOPscandal
Taco Bar Extraordinaire

Post by POOPscandal »

similar things happened to me in my celica. when it was an automatic, after i installed a trd cam, when i FOERST drove it, it would stall out in drive if i wasn't giving it gas, so i had to neutral drop through lights to get it home. that was because the timing was totally jacked because i was off by a tooth or 2 on the cam gear.

second case, after making it 5spd, it just died on me on 400. i thought a spark plug wire came off. got it off highway and that was fine. then it wouldn't start. got a guy to jump it but i had to keep it revved because if i tried to let it idle it would die. i thought it was some electrical thing. i mean i had to keep it almost floored just to get it stay running and i limped it to a gas station. after checking battery, alt, wiring, etc. checked the plugs and the top of one was missing. i dropped a valve into the motor, making my cyl head look like tinfoil and putting a big hole in my piston. WEEEEE!!!

i don't think this post helps much, but maybe give you an idea of something to look for...
Superb Tough Highest Performer Driven to Lifestyles Unimaginable
:domo: :domo: :domo:PHOTOBLARG! :domo: :domo: :domo:NEW EXCITING BLARG! :domo: :domo: :domo:
"thanks man, I didn't do it, but I'm a fan of apple penis" - <3 internet
Generz
Eet Bacon

Post by Generz »

yea. dead
EVOsaiyanPrince
Imitation Crab Meat

Post by EVOsaiyanPrince »

i think everyone is giving you the worst case scenario FOERST. Start simple, the fuel filter is a good idea, then check spark plugs, wires, etc. ONLY then should you start looking at blown gaskets, etc.

Blue and white smoke are significantly different in color, so stick with white color, as your gut suggests.

The 2 best fighter jets for the greatest airforce in the world.
andysapp
I need to go outside

Post by andysapp »

Dude.. Hooman - I just realized how old that animated gif is.
:shock:
P.Haire
Trunk Junk

Post by P.Haire »

it gets the job done. i saw another funny one.

please believe