Rotary VS. Pistons "let's get it on"!!!!!

General automotive discussion. If you can read and write... this is the place.

Moderators: charlie, darkducati, andysapp, CodyW

what would you rather be driving?

Give me a piston pusher!!!
56%
I'm rootin' for rotary!!!
31%
I am too broke for either...( I don't care )
13%

Total votes: 16

BrokeAssHachi
Imitation Crab Meat

Post by BrokeAssHachi »

Kouki7 wrote:ummm, ya, last i checked the 13b was a 1.3L with 2x654cc displacement or something close to that. where do you get this miss-information?

btw, what did you think it was, 5.0L?! :roll:
You tell me how to measure displacment in a rotary and i will believe you, until then, i know how and the 13b is a 3.9L but it compares to a 4 cyl 2.6L

2X654 is the swept volume, it's... nevermind, you figure it out.
BrokeAssHachi
Imitation Crab Meat

Post by BrokeAssHachi »

turbofb wrote:Its not a 1.3L thats kinda funny, wonder why mazda calls it a 1.3L??? Unless you are thinking of the 1.2L, also know as a 12a.
They dont call it a 1.3L they call it a 13b with a displacment of 2X654cc (swept volume) :D
BrokeAssHachi
Imitation Crab Meat

Post by BrokeAssHachi »

Kouki7 wrote:i was gonna change the sig but since you love it so much, its gonna stay now. 8)

BTW, you think i'd drive a car and NOT know what size my motor is? wtf you think i am, a Honda owner?
I thought thats what it was? a Honda RX-7? isn't it?
turbofb
Clam Salesman

Post by turbofb »

Isn't a hachi a fugo?
BrokeAssHachi
Imitation Crab Meat

Post by BrokeAssHachi »

what the hell is a fugo?

oh well... either way.. i know what my engine is and i know how big it is so... :P haha
turbofb
Clam Salesman

Post by turbofb »

dude you are crazy, Its funny how you know more about the rotary than mazda engineers. Do i smell a hint of envy in your post?
Kouki7
Clam Salesman

Post by Kouki7 »

well i know how big my motor is as well and for some reason no one believes me or turbofb. oh well, i guess if ignorance is bliss you guys must be on cloud 9. :roll:
1991 RX7 GTR - JDM Daily Driver

Microtech LT10S, 3" Turboback, 9psi.

225rwhp on 9psi
aburazaru
Get Some

Post by aburazaru »

hey how do rotaries actually measer displacement? just curious...really.
aburazaru
Get Some

Post by aburazaru »

oh and by the way who is you guys?
BrokeAssHachi
Imitation Crab Meat

Post by BrokeAssHachi »

turbofb wrote:dude you are crazy, Its funny how you know more about the rotary than mazda engineers. Do i smell a hint of envy in your post?
Please, introduce me to the Mazda Engineer that says the 13b is a 1.3L :D

remember Rotary performance? one of the most reputable RX-7 tuning shops in the US? yeah, check this out then tell me what you think... i'm not the only one! :lol:

http://www.rx7.com/techarticles_displacement.html

also, there was a "Technobabble" article about this in SCC a while back... can't remember the issue and i cant find it on thier site so nm.. unless you have it?
sam
Ripe Meat

Post by sam »

The continued attempts of youthful rotary zealots to try and express their motor in terms of reciprocating combustion components is really agrivating.
firstly, displacement is a fallacy based on old thinking and history. It was originally a computed number to quantify the volume of air displaced by a single cycle (piston-stroke), but later came to mean the combustion chamber volume.
Currently, displacement = calculated combustion chamber volume. It's not normally even accurate, but then again, these numbers come from the same people who weigh their cars without fluids or spare tire, and also dyno the motor without the car on it.
As being calculated combustion chamber volume, there's no way you can weazle 2.6 liters out of a mazda rotary, unless you're talking about the rockin' 4 rotor used to win lemans.

http://www.millville.org/Workshops_f/ke ... gines.html
A listing of rotary motors, from NSU, out to mazda, including the Damler Benz

and if you wanted a beastie, there was a 390Ci (that;s around 6 liters) 4-rotor from GM that was originally designed to sit in the mid-ship position of a pininfarina designed corvette.
*sings* my corolla breaks down more than your corolla!
jo
Not Really Past the Hazing

Post by jo »

please play nice people! nothing is better than the other. of course the rotary people love their cars and want to back them up. of course the piston pushers love theirs, as well.

can we just let it go, or should we beat this dead horse some more?
darkducati
Purple Drank

Post by darkducati »

The horse ain't dead yet! But we're gonna kill it.
The whole displacement thing does hold some water. The argument is that each rotor uses the displacement a number of times to make the four strokes. Here is where it gets stupid. The rotary makes a number of revolutions to get to this "3.9L". Are piston engine measured on how much dispalcement they use to get four strokes? No. I can understand both sides of the argument but the only people that really seem to PUSH the issue are trying to discredit the rotary. Does it really matter? Rotaries are simply awesome engines. If you are bashing them and haven't spent any time with one you are missing out. I have said before that anyone who spends 24 hours with an RX-8 and doesn't fall in love with it either didn't drive it enough or they don't understand it. Which is not intended to slam anyone. I don't get Harleys but there are plenty of people out there who do. Different strokes.

P.S.ROTARIES OWN!!!!!:D
Beans and cornbread.
Kouki7
Clam Salesman

Post by Kouki7 »

thank you darkducati. that is exacty right. since one "stroke" on a rotary engine is one of the faces, its only 1.3L's. technically my 2.2L 4cyl celica is a 8.8L motor by your terms of measuring displacement and a 5.0 mustang has 40L of displacement!. :roll:
1991 RX7 GTR - JDM Daily Driver

Microtech LT10S, 3" Turboback, 9psi.

225rwhp on 9psi
charlie
Eet Bacon

Post by charlie »

[html]<object data="http://hosting.gmodules.com/ig/gadgets/ ... r10=FF0000&" style="outline:none;" width="512" height="44" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param value="http://hosting.gmodules.com/ig/gadgets/ ... r10=FF0000&" name="movie"/><param value="always" name="AllowScriptAccess"/><param value="opaque" name="wmode"/><param value="noscale" name="scale"/><param value="tl" name="salign"/></object><BR>
[/html]K-TO-THE-MOTHERFUCKIN-OI! OI! OI!