what tires should i get?

General automotive discussion. If you can read and write... this is the place.

Moderators: charlie, darkducati, andysapp, CodyW

CodyW
Slippery When Westicles

what tires should i get?

Post by CodyW »

well i got a message back from jeremy at discount tire and he can get me a pretty good deal on the 5zigens and tires ($1275 for 17x8/17x9's, 225/45 and 245/40 azenis st115's, mounting, hardware, and free shipping).
only thing is i think i remeber hearing a few people (andy?) having some issues with the st115's and i'm not sure how much i'd like them. they also carry the azenis sports or the yoko ES100's for not a whole lot more, so i might try to talk him out of those or something.
anyhow, any other suggestions are welcome, but i just want something that can grip well but drift when i want it to and that won't completely kill my money.
aligatou!!!
charlie
Eet Bacon

Post by charlie »

I hear Firestones are cheap.
[html]<object data="http://hosting.gmodules.com/ig/gadgets/ ... r10=FF0000&" style="outline:none;" width="512" height="44" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param value="http://hosting.gmodules.com/ig/gadgets/ ... r10=FF0000&" name="movie"/><param value="always" name="AllowScriptAccess"/><param value="opaque" name="wmode"/><param value="noscale" name="scale"/><param value="tl" name="salign"/></object><BR>
[/html]K-TO-THE-MOTHERFUCKIN-OI! OI! OI!
CodyW
Slippery When Westicles

Post by CodyW »

hahaha :)
sam
Ripe Meat

Post by sam »

I say just get some middle-rung tires, like some summer-rated pirelli's or something like that. They will have decent grip, good aquatread, and you'll be able to break them loose if needed.
*sings* my corolla breaks down more than your corolla!
turbofb
Clam Salesman

Post by turbofb »

I really like my es100. They have a pretty good balance of grip and slip. If overheated they will come apart due to the v shape sipes in them. I like them better than kumho 711-712. I really liked michelin pilots, but damn expensive. I have really fallen in love w/ these goodyear rsa, but sidewall wear is fast, really fast. I would stay away from perellis, we throw so many of those tires out, horrible ride, i think perelli means square in italian.
jo
Not Really Past the Hazing

Post by jo »

I'd go for the azenis sports! I hear the yokos are nice, but seem to melt away easy. At least that is what it seems like with Andy.
CodyW
Slippery When Westicles

Post by CodyW »

yea, i do remember that on his (plus barry's celica had it's creppy mysterious wreck while on ES100's which kinda scares me). i am kinda intereested to try the azenis sports though (other than i've heard they're heavy and don't last really long) as they are supposed to be pretty good all around. maybe i'll see if jeremy will hook me up on those for not much more.
turbofb
Clam Salesman

Post by turbofb »

If you want cheap you should go with kumho 711, they take pretty good abuse, plus they are not the v shaped tread blocks so they don't peel apart when they overheat, 712 will peel apart. And they are only 50 tire for 16's, so 17's are probably pretty cheap. Never tryed the falken, i installed some for a friend, the sidewall was so soft. But hey give them shot see how they last.
jo
Not Really Past the Hazing

Post by jo »

Cody, if you go up to NP my friend dan with the white STi uses azenis sports. you can talk to him about it. he seems to really like them.
CodyW
Slippery When Westicles

Post by CodyW »

cool, i might try to make it up there than as i did decide to "forget" about my 6:00-10:00 class i'm supposed to be in right now.
DTCdrift
Ripe Meat

Re: what tires should i get?

Post by DTCdrift »

CodyW wrote:well i got a message back from jeremy at discount tire and he can get me a pretty good deal on the 5zigens and tires ($1275 for 17x8/17x9's, 225/45 and 245/40 azenis st115's, mounting, hardware, and free shipping).
only thing is i think i remeber hearing a few people (andy?) having some issues with the st115's and i'm not sure how much i'd like them. they also carry the azenis sports or the yoko ES100's for not a whole lot more, so i might try to talk him out of those or something.
anyhow, any other suggestions are welcome, but i just want something that can grip well but drift when i want it to and that won't completely kill my money.
aligatou!!!
You doubt ME!!!!!!!!!!!!.....j/k

I have seen what happens to ES100's during drifting...chunk,chunk,chunk
you can run azensis sports (crappy rain traction)
after the DC event I am a firm believer in ST-115 ask Calvin Wan what he thinks..........he runs them, sports on the front(dedicated drift car) 115 on back

these are a good choice for what you are doing with them
CodyW
Slippery When Westicles

Post by CodyW »

hey, i don't doubt you, i just heard a few people have had some not so good experiences with them, but for that price i think i might be willing to give them a try :).

now i just need to make my car work to make sure they'll have something to go on :mrgreen: .
DTCdrift
Ripe Meat

Post by DTCdrift »

a working car.........the quest of any tuner :D

just let me know man....I will take car of you guys
vosko
Fresh Meat

Post by vosko »

i've run 115's for a bit now. i like them they last a while on the rear and a decent bit on the front too. depends how much sliding you do and how much power you have but they definetly last alot longer on the rear than normal tires
MTRLevolution
Get Some

Post by MTRLevolution »

fawkin apenis'. great grip, really wide. too black for my taste but hey, you may like 'em.