Spotted (or heard) you guys at Turner Field

General automotive discussion. If you can read and write... this is the place.

Moderators: charlie, darkducati, andysapp, CodyW

gotundersteer?
Fresh Meat

Spotted (or heard) you guys at Turner Field

Post by gotundersteer? »

Hey,

I was at Turner Field on Saturday for an SCCA event. I could hear you guys drifting up a storm right above us. Did they repave that lot up there? The one where we were was slick as shit.

What happened?

I heard the drifting stop about midway through the day/morning?
2004 Pitch Black 5spd 2.0L(Z) ZX3: Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Eibach Pro-Kit Dampers, H&R 24mm Rear Swaybar, Focus-Sport rear stress bar, MBRP Cat-Back, UK ST200 Mondeo Wheels w/ Kuhmo Ecsta 215/45/17's, (Victoracer 15'' track tires) Quantum Audio 12''/Quantum 800w Amp, Custom Ported Box, K&N Panel Filter, SVT Lip...
icantdrift
Salsa Rodeo

Re: Spotted (or heard) you guys at Turner Field

Post by icantdrift »

gotundersteer? wrote:Hey,

I was at Turner Field on Saturday for an SCCA event. I could hear you guys drifting up a storm right above us. Did they repave that lot up there? The one where we were was slick as shit.

What happened?

I heard the drifting stop about midway through the day/morning?

they haven't repaved the blue lot where we were, but i was watcing all of the FWD cars looping out in the early morning down there. it was kind of funny to watch :lol: . i heard the SCCA folks were complaining of the noise we were making too.

as for stopping early, there was an accident involving a photographer named matt campbell and a car sliding off course and unfortunately matt was badly injured. he had his back to the oncoming car while taking a shot down the hill at another car that had already passed and was hit. he is ok overall from what i'd last heard, they were worried about head trauma but he was responsive when the ambulance got there and could answer questions just fine. his leg was badly broken and he was being checked out for other injuries last i heard about him.
gotundersteer?
Fresh Meat

Post by gotundersteer? »

That sucks alot.

Didn't andy get too at some point?

Either way, my best wishes go out to Matt.

As for the SCCA people, alot of them are crabby. I wouldn't worry about it. I thought it was entertaining to see the sliding, smoke, and noise. Besides, half the cars that run with the SCCA are twice as obnoxious as any drift car.

Note: I did notice some people going towards the Drift Fury event that were not driving "appropriately" around the Turner Field area. Just for future note, Tracy (or whoever) you might want to try to police the people/racers in the event so the Turner Field people don't get pissed off.
2004 Pitch Black 5spd 2.0L(Z) ZX3: Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Eibach Pro-Kit Dampers, H&R 24mm Rear Swaybar, Focus-Sport rear stress bar, MBRP Cat-Back, UK ST200 Mondeo Wheels w/ Kuhmo Ecsta 215/45/17's, (Victoracer 15'' track tires) Quantum Audio 12''/Quantum 800w Amp, Custom Ported Box, K&N Panel Filter, SVT Lip...
icantdrift
Salsa Rodeo

Post by icantdrift »

gotundersteer? wrote: Note: I did notice some people going towards the Drift Fury event that were not driving "appropriately" around the Turner Field area. Just for future note, Tracy (or whoever) you might want to try to police the people/racers in the event so the Turner Field people don't get pissed off.

we had an officer on site all day but unfortunately you can't police everyone in the area without an army of police officers on every corner. unfortunately it is a spectator sport and lots of spectators are jackoffs who feel the need to show their ass after watching the action on the course. not sure if there's a good way to solve that problem unfortunately.
Silonius
Imitation Crab Meat

Post by Silonius »

Oh, so you were there Saturday. I kept looking for the Focus on Sunday, but no Focus love from anyone, not even me. I co-drove my friends turboed Protege and had a tough time with the FWD drifts. Definitely a slippery lot.

Sorry to hear that you guys had to cut the event short but at least it sounds like he'll be okay.

How will this affect future events?

I was talking with Jay Parcon and he said there were some nice cars and some good drifting going on. Apparently he was running back and forth between the autox and the drift event!
gotundersteer?
Fresh Meat

Post by gotundersteer? »

Yea, I decided to sit the Auto-X out on Sunday.

I was just tired, and had to pack and go back to school. Plus, it's a little bit of a drive and I was feeling lazy even though it was the Champion of Champions event.
rhythmnsmoke
Ripe Meat

Post by rhythmnsmoke »

How often are drift practice sessions held at Tuner field?