Triple Threat II - Round 3 Pics (Pics on Pg. 2)

Post any and all car-related pictures here.

Moderators: charlie, CodyW, Rhoad Racing

Kronus
Imitation Crab Meat

Re: Triple Threat II - Round 3 Pics (Pics on Pg. 2)

Post by Kronus »

Lastly, if your monitor isn't calibrated, you're pissing in the wind.

/photodouchecriticism
"Yes." - Mika Hakkinen
collink
OK Finally Past the Hazing

Post by collink »

Kronus wrote:
collink wrote:
POOPscandal wrote:color looks bad and the cars look hard parked with some smoke around them. Image

charming picture of rhoad though.
You want I shoulda shot a slower shutter speed and got some motion blur?
You start at 1/60-1/120 depending on the speeds of the cars, and their wheel speeds, and work from there. That preserves the slight blur in the wheels to convey the action of movement. You shot a majority of these shots around 1/400. EXIF never lies. Secondly, White Balance = auto, come on! You're outside with moving cars, you don't shoot auto WB if you want decent color off the bat. If you want to batch process hundreds of pictures later, be my guest. Why make it harder than it needs to be? Thirdly, why would you use spot metering if you aren't framing the cars tight enough that the background has a reserved space in the frame (hence why it's blown out on occasion) & F/stops that aren't shallow (no bokeh)? Center weighted. Check it.
Thanks for the advice, Cody.

Shutter Speed
Yeah, I think I was in Aperture priority a majority of the day. That was probably my FOERST mistake. Next Turner event I'll try some shots around 1/100 and see how I do.

White Balance
Should I have been shooting with the white balance set to outdoors?

Metering
You're right, I shouldn't have been using spot metering. Another mistake.

F-Stop
It was as shallow as I could get it. Keep in mind my kit lens is only 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6. I also picked up a 28-70mm f/3.5-4.5, but it's not an AF-S. That's what I used to shoot that pick of Chris. I was using my 18-55mm at full-zoom on the course though, so my f-stop was as low as it could be, unless I don't I'm misunderstanding.

Go a little easy on me now...I wouldn't even consider myself an amateur photographer...noob/novice is much more fitting. I wanna learn though so I'm not treating my D40 (while an inexpensive DSLR) like an expensive point-and-shoot. Thanks again for the advice Cody.
Kronus
Imitation Crab Meat

Post by Kronus »

collink wrote:
Kronus wrote:
collink wrote:
POOPscandal wrote:color looks bad and the cars look hard parked with some smoke around them. Image

You start at 1/60-1/120 depending on the speeds of the cars, and their wheel speeds, and work from there. That preserves the slight blur in the wheels to convey the action of movement. You shot a majority of these shots around 1/400. EXIF never lies. Secondly, White Balance = auto, come on! You're outside with moving cars, you don't shoot auto WB if you want decent color off the bat. If you want to batch process hundreds of pictures later, be my guest. Why make it harder than it needs to be? Thirdly, why would you use spot metering if you aren't framing the cars tight enough that the background has a reserved space in the frame (hence why it's blown out on occasion) & F/stops that aren't shallow (no bokeh)? Center weighted. Check it.

Shutter Speed
Yeah, I think I was in Aperture priority a majority of the day. That was probably my FOERST mistake. Next Turner event I'll try some shots around 1/100 and see how I do.

White Balance

Metering

F-Stop
It was as shallow as I could get it. Keep in mind my kit lens is only 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6. I also picked up a 28-70mm f/3.5-4.5, but it's not an AF-S. That's what I used to shoot that pick of Chris. I was using my 18-55mm at full-zoom on the course though, so my f-stop was as low as it could be, unless I don't I'm misunderstanding.

Go a little easy on me now...I wouldn't even consider myself an amateur photographer...noob/novice is much more fitting. I wanna learn though so I'm not treating my D40 (while an inexpensive DSLR) like an expensive point-and-shoot. Thanks again for the advice Cody.
The few I looked at were F/8, Shutter Priority. Sounds like you didn't know what settings you were using at some points. Take a look at the EXIF. If you're using Adobe products exclusively, go ahead and set your camera for "sRGB". This is only if you're using a recent Nikon body, the D40 counts. AF-C is your friend with fast motion, regardless. That version of the 28-70 is from the '90's, of course it won't be AF-S. You select a point where you want to take the shot, and pre-focus the lens. Problem solved. F/5.6 would have helped blur the back ground. Choose the size of the center-weight in the settings before you use it.

Who's Cody?

"Yes." - Mika Hakkinen
collink
OK Finally Past the Hazing

Post by collink »

Kronus wrote:
collink wrote:
Kronus wrote:
collink wrote:

Shutter Speed

White Balance

Metering

F-Stop

The few I looked at were F/8, Shutter Priority. Sounds like you didn't know what settings you were using at some points. Take a look at the EXIF. If you're using Adobe products exclusively, go ahead and set your camera for "sRGB". This is only if you're using a recent Nikon body, the D40 counts. AF-C is your friend with fast motion, regardless. That version of the 28-70 is from the '90's, of course it won't be AF-S. You select a point where you want to take the shot, and pre-focus the lens. Problem solved. F/5.6 would have helped blur the back ground. Choose the size of the center-weight in the settings before you use it.

Who's Cody?

I guess I was switching around? I don't remember doing that though...but in going back and looking at some, I found that like my shots of Sammy and the IS were 1/400 f13 shutter proiority. Yikes! So you think next time I should try like 1/120 and the largest aperture I can get (3.5 at 18mm and 5.6 at 55mm)?

I'll go ahead and set my color profile to "sRGB". I only use Lightroom/PS. Last time I checked my camera is in AF-C. How should I calibrate my monitor? To the same color profile as my camera?
Kronus wrote:Who's Cody?
I dunno...thought you did ;-)
shawn shawn
Hollasaurus Rex

Post by shawn shawn »

I would also like to thank cody.

Why?

WHY NOT!
ImageImage

_team rowdy_
Greg
Muscle Milk

Post by Greg »

Thanks Shawn for thanking Cody.
Bikes, Meat, Drama, Meat, Gossip, Meat, Metal, Meat, Buttsex, Meat, Family and some Drifting.
Cankles
Salsa Rodeo

Post by Cankles »

thanks greg, for being such a gent and thanking shawn for his congratulatory thanking of cody
Greg
Muscle Milk

Post by Greg »

thanks Ryan for not being a prick when thanking me for thanking Shawn for thanking Cody
Bikes, Meat, Drama, Meat, Gossip, Meat, Metal, Meat, Buttsex, Meat, Family and some Drifting.
Kronus
Imitation Crab Meat

Post by Kronus »

Gentleman, please accept my token of assurance that your benediction has not fallen upon deaf ears. A kiwi.

"Yes." - Mika Hakkinen
FooSchnickens
Rock Smoke

Post by FooSchnickens »

collink wrote:
I'll go ahead and set my color profile to "sRGB". I only use Lightroom/PS. Last time I checked my camera is in AF-C. How should I calibrate my monitor? To the same color profile as my camera?
That and get a calibrator. They aren't cheap, but will make a large difference in how your pictures show up. I picked up a Pantone Spyder on ebay last year for $40 and it's served me very well. Every now and again the Pantone Huey pops up on woot, so check there too.
f00tography
In our minds. In our reality. In our world we are QUEEN DUCHESS TEAPOT HABERDASHERY!! RULER OF ALL!! PARTY OF ONE!!!
fooschnicks: totally oawesome
fooschnicks: whatever that means
gregthore: oaseome
gregthore: without me it's just oaweso
gregthore: Eugene has a meagan muff
Cankles
Salsa Rodeo

Post by Cankles »

dear sirs,
thank you all for being such gentlemen in such a troubled world. also Kronus lad i do appreciate and quiet enjoy kiwi. how did you ever know
CodyW
Slippery When Westicles

Post by CodyW »

FooSchnickens
Rock Smoke

Post by FooSchnickens »

d'awwwwww

f00tography
In our minds. In our reality. In our world we are QUEEN DUCHESS TEAPOT HABERDASHERY!! RULER OF ALL!! PARTY OF ONE!!!
fooschnicks: totally oawesome
fooschnicks: whatever that means
gregthore: oaseome
gregthore: without me it's just oaweso
gregthore: Eugene has a meagan muff
BandyDesign
Ripe Meat

Post by BandyDesign »

I have a question... my monitor is calibrated... I used the spyder whatchamacallit.

So, if my monitor is "calibrated"

and the people that look at my photos are using monitors that aren't "calibrated"

whats the point??? haha When my monitor wasn't calibrated, it was closer to everyone else's uncalibrated monitors.

I understand calibrating for printers, but not for web

</rambling>
shawn shawn
Hollasaurus Rex

Post by shawn shawn »

Thank you Cody for accepting our thanks.
ImageImage

_team rowdy_