american iron (err.... aluminum)

Post any and all car-related pictures here.

Moderators: charlie, CodyW, Rhoad Racing

icantdrift
Salsa Rodeo

Post by icantdrift »

CodyW wrote:any info on this certain yard in SC?
no, there can be only one!
CodyW
Slippery When Westicles

Post by CodyW »

haha, damn you!!!!
you know i've had my V8 cravings for a while too! :)

i really wanna find a FD to house one, but i'm not in the market for $5k shell right now :(. oh well, doubt i could put one in anything for a while (although i do wanna talk to hinson and see if they'd be down with working with the mag on anything, but that's just a rough idea at this point).
icantdrift
Salsa Rodeo

Post by icantdrift »

i was originally going to use hinson's stuff, but after talking to mike peters a bit and pricing some things out their shit is just too much. their $850 mount kit for the 240's is nothing more than some templates and a few steel pieces you weld yourself, and it still won't fit with the stock hood from what i hear.
CodyW
Slippery When Westicles

Post by CodyW »

hmmmm, interesting...that stuff does seem to be priced a bit steep, if i ever remotely get close to having the money to do it maybe i will check out other options.
PmartyX
Purple Drank

Post by PmartyX »

Cody, how much for your SR?
I am very safety driver!!!!!!!!!

"if you see team rowdy in anyone's sig, just don't even read the post. From my experience anything they've said to me was assholish and most of what i read is the same."
Zach
Salsa Rodeo

Post by Zach »

Awesome!!! and I get a ride for being jewish right? If struka gets one for being polish.. it's only fair :D. Lemme know if you need a hand at any point, I'd be glad to come see if I can't help out some.
Tracy
Imitation Crab Meat

Post by Tracy »

so uh Erin. I have good news almost. I think we have the demos at the Nats. Better step on the gas with the swap. It's not totally confirmed yet, but Maxxis called me today and said things were going well with the negotiations :)
icantdrift
Salsa Rodeo

Post by icantdrift »

Tracy wrote:so uh Erin. I have good news almost. I think we have the demos at the Nats. Better step on the gas with the swap. It's not totally confirmed yet, but Maxxis called me today and said things were going well with the negotiations :)
that is my goal, come hell or high water i have a month to complete. i just need to figure out if i'm working on it here or begging you guys to borrow some shop space to do the mounts at least ;).
darkducati
Purple Drank

Post by darkducati »

I KNEW IT!!!!
Beans and cornbread.
Tracy
Imitation Crab Meat

Post by Tracy »

icantdrift wrote:
Tracy wrote:so uh Erin. I have good news almost. I think we have the demos at the Nats. Better step on the gas with the swap. It's not totally confirmed yet, but Maxxis called me today and said things were going well with the negotiations :)
that is my goal, come hell or high water i have a month to complete. i just need to figure out if i'm working on it here or begging you guys to borrow some shop space to do the mounts at least ;).
We can help you ANYTIME after hours. Just let us know ;) whatever it takes.
icantdrift
Salsa Rodeo

Post by icantdrift »

made a bit of progress today. finally got around to pulling the T56 off and found out it already has a decent clutch on it. still has a good bit of life in it, but i want to use my light flywheel and SPEC clutch i picked up so out it comes.

got the subframe hacked up nicely today, cut the stock mounting humps off and welded certain areas to keep them solid. i'll eventually plate over the parts i cut off but i want to get the motor over the subframe to see where the mounts line up and such. notched it between the rack mounts as well to clear the front portion of the oil pan.... need to see how much more i can notch out to let the motor sit down. my method for checking basic clearances was to bolt the oilpan to the bellhousing and start beating the shit out of the trans tunnel.

as you can see there was a little work with a hammer, and i'm sure more to come.

down_shift
Muscle Milk

Post by down_shift »

Looking good. Lil' firewall massaging never hurt.
::::: understeer is definitely a crime - Colin McRae
struka
Slippery When Westicles

Post by struka »

nice, keep us updated, i want to see the whole progress of this bad ass project! keep up the good work bia!
Frosty_SPL
Purple Drank

Post by Frosty_SPL »

yes!

Did you buy a wrecked car or just the engine. I was thinkin about pricing a totaled fbody and parting everything out but the powaplant.

When you figure out how to do the swap successfully, sell your services for a nominal fee to me and cody. :D
Sugar. Water. Jacket.
icantdrift
Salsa Rodeo

Post by icantdrift »

Frosty_SPL wrote:yes!

Did you buy a wrecked car or just the engine. I was thinkin about pricing a totaled fbody and parting everything out but the powaplant.

When you figure out how to do the swap successfully, sell your services for a nominal fee to me and cody. :D
bought a swap set from a place in SC. engine/trans/harness/reflashed ECU. i have everything figured out to make it all work, just have to get my ass in gear and get a little help slinging this thing around in and out of the bay to mount it ;). i still need to get under there and cut out the old mounting points from the trans tunnel since they are useless now as the crossmember mount for the T56 is right under the shifter hole. i scraped about 5lbs of crud out of there tonight and i'm sure i'll get more when i climb back under the car again. guess i should've replaced that shifter seal boot earlier :lol: .

the biggest hurdles here are mounting and header fabrication, everything else is pretty simple. clutch hydraulics i'm getting from Hinson with a nice new braided stainless line and master cylinder that will handle the GM slave (stock 240 stuff just don't cut it). ECU has been reflashed to get rid of VATS, EGR/AIRPUMP, rear 02 sensors, etc etc. i'm sending the harness off to be converted for universal installations, so it'll be very simple to wire into the car actually. i'll basically have to hook up switched and constant 12v, fan trigger wire, and likely i'm going to just run new wires to the fuel pump from the supplied relay and ditch the stock stuff. i'll be using aftermarket gauges and build a dash panel for them. fuel system had me stumped at FOERST but i found out if you use the corvette regulator/filter assembly then you're good to go and they sell the quick disconnects at napa. radiator i'll just size up a universal unit and make mounts, although i could've used the Koyo now that i look at it. power steering lines just need to be grafted together, probably just using flare fittings. driveshaft i'll just have made, simple task of measuring and having it built.

what am i missing? there's a lot of little bits to remember but it's not super hard stuff. in my case i just have to make sure it gets done ASAP so i can get some seat time before nopi nationals.